The Nigerian police have thwarted plans by arrested billionaire kidnapper, Chukwudubem Onwuamadike, known as Evans to escape from prison.
- Evans is currently standing trial before an Ikeja High Court for alleged conspiracy and kidnapping alongside five others namely Uche Amadi, Ogechi Uchechukwu, Okwuchukwu Nwachukwu, Chilaka Ifeanyi, and Victor Aduba – Although he has pled quilty to all the charge , and are being remanded at the Kirikiri Maximum Security Prisons, Apapa.
- Following his attempt to escape (Sahara Reporters), it is reported that the Nigerian Prison Service (NPS) has increased his security apparatus.
- Evans planned to give between $50,000 and $100,000 to one of the guards manning his cell to facilitate his escape.
- “When Evans was in our custody, he tried to escape but we were able to abort all his plans. We discovered that he had access to phones which were hidden in the middle of loaves of bread, eba, semovita, and so on,” a source said.
- “He was making calls from these smuggled phones in the middle of the night, making arrangements with some yet to be identified members of his gang to arrange for his escape.“
- “We intercepted how he was luring one of the guards with about $50,000 to $100,000. He wanted an insider to serve as an informant to him and members of his gang.” Source: Ynaija.com