Toddler’s head swells to huge size after doctors mistook cancer for birth mark

It was the moment Zayn Chowdhury’s mum and dad had been dreading. Their toddler son’s eyes rolled into the back of his head as he fell into a coma.

The tumour in his face that had started as a tiny lump behind his ear was now the size of a grapefruit – and was eating into his jaw.

After chemotherapy, his liver was failing and his lungs were filled with fluid. And now hospital doctors told parents Daniella and Anwar to say their final goodbyes.

“Everyone around us had started panicking ,” says Daniella, 38. “We thought we’d lose him. But he has always been a fighter – and he fought back. His strength amazed us.”

It was the most terrifying moment in a long ordeal that saw Zayn’s cancer misdiagnosed – and then funding for life-saving treatment abroad refused by the NHS.

And it was only through a last minute crowdfunding appeal that the family amazingly raised £53,000 in just seven days to save their son. The Chowdurys’ nightmare began when Zayn was just a few days old in December 2015.

Daniella was worried about a tiny, flesh-coloured lump behind his right ear. Her GP referred Zayn to a consultant who reassured his parents it was probably a kind of birthmark and nothing to worry about.

Over the next year, their son had precautionary MRI scans every three months as the lump, which didn’t seem to trouble him, got bigger.


“They kept saying there was nothing to worry about and it would resolve itself,” says Daniella, also mum to son Razak, four. “But it kept growing.”

But when it grew to the size of a satsuma as Zayne approached his first birthday, the family, of Croydon, South London, asked for a second opinion at another hospital, St George’s in Tooting.

Former nanny Daniella says: “This hospital did an MRI scan and a biopsy too. Three weeks later when we returned for the results the doctor told us, ‘I’m afraid your little boy has cancer’.

“We were horrified. We felt so guilty for believing the first doctor.”

Zayn was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive soft tissue cancer known as rhabdomyosarcoma. X-rays showed the tumour was growing into his jawbones.

It stretched from the back of his neck to the front, but still wasn’t giving him pain. “Even at that stage, he was such a cheerful little chap,” Daniella recalls.

Zayn was referred to the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton, where doctors began chemotherapy.

But after his first treatment, he suffered a rare allergic reaction which caused organ failure.

Daniella says: “Ten days after his chemo Zayne wouldn’t eat and was very sleepy. When we told the doctors they measured his enzymes and found his liver was failing. He was actually slipping into a coma.”

Zayn was transferred by ambulance to Kings College Hospital in South London, where he was put on a respirator in an induced coma and later given dialysis.

Amazingly, he battled back and just two weeks after returning home he was strong enough to start a course of a different chemotherapy.

That treatment put the cancer under control and the tumour started to shrink.

Source: Daily Mirror

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s